On 1 October 2019 the funded brand of lamotrigine changed from Lamictal, Arrow-Lamotrigine and Logem to Logem only.
Lamotrigine is used to treat epilepsy and some mental health conditions, such as bipolar disorder.
Independent review commissioned
PHARMAC has commissioned an independent review of its process for brand changes.
The review is expected to consider whether the decision-making and implementation processes followed by PHARMAC in relation to the lamotrigine sole supply decision were appropriate. It will also consider and identify any areas in which PHARMAC could improve its decision making and implementation processes for future brand changes.
This review is about the brand change process. It is not a review of the decision to change to the Logem brand of lamotrigine.
The Coroner’s office is investigating the deaths of people who were on lamotrigine. This is a separate process. PHARMAC will provide the Coroner’s office with whatever assistance is necessary for this investigation.
Exceptional circumstances applications
Total received: 2,177
Under assessment: 54
Withdrawn: 7The number of declined applications has increased because dispensing data indicated that these applications were for people who:
- were not previously on another brand of lamotrigine and for who Logem is an appropriate treatment option or
- had not been prescribed lamotrigine for mental health or epilepsy indications.
Updated: 24 February 2020
Media releases and OIA responses
Media releases about lamotrigine brand change
- 15 November 2019 – PHARMAC to widen access to the exceptional circumstances process for lamotrigine
- 1 October 2019 – Lamotrigine brand change from today
Responses to Official Information Act requests about lamotrigine
- 24 December 2019 – Number of exceptional circumstances applications (Note: Latest information is on this page)
- 19 December 2019 – Advice around costs of lamotrigine brand change
- 18 December 2019 – Lamotrigine contingency plan activation
- 17 December 2019 – Lamotrigine NPPA change
- 18 November 2019 – Venlafaxine and lamotrigine NPPA data
- 6 November 2019 – Lamotrigine safety
Details of the decision process
- 11 April 2019 – Decision to move to one funded brand of lamotrigine (Logem)
- 7 February 2019 – Advice from the Joint Neurology and Mental Health PTAC subcommittee [PDF, 194 KB]
- 26 October 2018 – Update on proposal to move to one funded brand of lamotrigine (Logem)
- 22 August 2018 – Proposal to move to one funded brand of lamotrigine (Logem)
- 14 June 2018 – Request for proposals (RFP): Supply of lamotrigine chewable/dispersible tablets